DNA Registry Guidelines and Procedures
The purpose of the Spanish Goat Registry (SGR) is to create a DNA database of Fullblood Spanish Goat Breed genetics. The genetics are being tracked by bloodline, breeder, region and color among herds across the United States. The DNA Registry does not ensure the quality of the goat being Registered or the Breeder registering the goat.
DNA Policies and Procedures
- In order to ensure the integrity of the Spanish Goat Registry (SGR) each goat undergoes a verification process to determine its eligibility to be DNA Registered as a Fullblood Spanish Goat/Bloodline.
- Before submitting DNA Samples a breeder must submit a Breeder ID Application and receive a Breeder ID Number.
- Once a Breeders has been issued a Breeder ID Number they are qualified to submit a completed DNA Spreadsheet, full side view photo of the goat(s), DNA Sample and Registration fees in order to DNA Register their goats.
- Breeders are issued a Digital and Mailed copy of their SGR DNA Registration Certificates.
- Breeder who choose to submit 5 female and 1 male DNA sample will be eligible for SGR BREEDER CERTIFICATION.
- Each goat that is SGR DNA Registered is listed on the MASTER LIST OF DNA REGISTERED SPANISH GOATS.
- Each SGR DNA Registration Certificate can be viewed.
- In order for a goat to be SGR DNA Registered as a specific bloodline SGR must be able to verify the accuracy of the information — otherwise goats will be SGR DNA Registered as a Fullblood Spanish Goat.
- Parentage is tracked through SGR DNA Registrations only — unless DNA Registered parantage data is not included on DNA Registration Certificates.
- SGR does not accept Registrations from other Registries.
- SGR ensures that each sample has been rigorously verified before being entered into our UC Davis sample database – thereby giving the breeder, buyer and seller the confidence that is needed to ensure the integrity of each goat being sold as a DNA Registered Fullblood Spanish goat.
Requirements and Steps for DNA Registration
- Completed Breeder ID Application.
- SGLLC Issued Breeder/Herd ID Number — once the Breeder and the goats are verifed, SGLLC will issue a Breeder/Herd ID Number.
- Goat bred by a Verified Spanish Goat Breeder — oftentimes breeders have collected goats and cannot remember or do not have documentation as to the origins of the goats — these goats will not be DNA Registered.
- Goat verified through Required Bill of Sale, ear tag, and full side view photo – if for some reason this is not possible please contact the SGR Admin.
- Completed DNA Spreadsheet — the breeder is fill the information on the DNA Spreadsheet. The data will be found on the Required Bill of Sale. If a Breeder is having difficulty with this the SGR Admin will gladly assist.
- Breeder Fee, Shipping and DNA Registration Fees paid in full along with a completed DNA Spreadsheet prior to shipment of DNA Sample Kits.
- DNA Kits are Shipped with Complete Instructions.
- Breeder receives kits, inserts microchips, collects tail hairs in provided envelope, takes full side view “show quality” photos.
- Completes any missing data from the DNA Spreadsheet.
- Breeder ships the DNA Spreadsheet and Envelope samples using USPS Priority Mail back to SGLLC.
- Breeder to text the tracking number.
- SGR submits the samples to UC Davis and pays UC Davis testing fees.
- Once the results are received from UC Davis the goats are issued a DNA Registration number.
- The Breeder receives a digital copy of the DNA Registrations and UC Davis VGL. The sealed DNA Registration Certificate is mailed.
- All DNA Registered goats are listed on the SGLLC Website and can be viewed and a copy can be printed.
SGR Registration Fees
- Each DNA Sample Kit — $5
- Each UC Davis Testing Fee — $30
- Each DNA Data Process: Tracking, Verification, Pedigree records, and Entering into the UC Davis VGL System Fee — $10
- Each Hard Copy Certificate, VGL Report Copy, and Transfer Document Mailed Fee — $5
- Each DNA Registration Owner Transfer Fee — $5 (Providing new Owner has paid annual breeder fee).
- $22 Shipping and Handling Fee — $22 (includes processing DNA Spreadsheet with Microchip numbers, shipping up to 40 DNA kits, Shipping to UC Davis).
- Annual Breeder Fee — $30
- Each Transfer of SGR SGC Individual VGL Reports into a separate UC Davis VGL Account — $20
Parent Verification after DNA Registrations are Issued
- The initial testing of any DNA Sample can include both Dam and Sire Parent Verification at no additional charge under the following circumstances: 1) the Dam/and or Sire DNA are included in the batch and can be entered; and 2) The dam and/or sire DNA samples are already on file with SGR SGC VGL Account.
- Parent Verification can be processed at a later date for a fee of $5.
- DNA Registration Certificates will be reissued with Parent Verification Data added to the Certificate for a fee of $5.
- Additionally, the Parent Verification data will be added to the pedigree tracking.
SGR Registration Fees for SGR Certified Breeder
- DNA Registration for 5 Females and 1 male — $270
- Shipping of Kits: $22
- Includes Hard Copy Individual DNA Certificates and Breeder Certificate
Payment and Shipping of Samples
- DNA Kits will be shipped to the Breeder once the goat(s) have been verified and payment is received.
- Payment can be made by mailed check or through PayPal — a 4% PayPal fee is added to the invoice.
- Once collected, the DNA Samples and completed DNA Spreadsheet are shipped Priority USPS Mail to the provided address.
Offspring of DNA Registered Goats
- When DNA Registering offspring of DNA Registered goats, make sure to list the dam and/or sire DNA Registration number.
- All DNA Registration steps are the same.
- Goats whose Dam and Sire are DNA Registered will receive a DNA GOLD Registration Certificate.
- Goats whose Sire is DNA Registered Gold (But Dam is not registered) will receive a Silver Certificate.
- Goats whose Dam and Sire are not registered will receive a Bronze Certificate.
- Parentage is not recorded on the DNA Certificate if they are not DNA Registered – However breeder is listed.
DNA Registration Classifications
- Bronze — Goat Dam and Sire is not in the SGR DNA Database.
- Silver — Goat Dam or Sire DNA is in the SGR DNA Database.
- Gold — Dam and Sire are from Foundation Stock or One Parent is DNA Registered and one Parent is Foundation Stock.
- Platinum — Both Dam and Sire DNA is in the SGR DNA Database.
SGR Certified Spanish Breeder
The purpose of Breeder Certification is to encourage new Breeders to purchase a starter herd of 5 DNA Registered females and 1 DNA Registered male. This ensures the new breeder can be confident of their starter seed stock. In Addition, this gives SGLLC a diverse sampling of Herds across the United States.
- SGR Certified Spanish Breeder Certificates are issued to those breeders who choose to submit 5 verified female DNA samples and 1 verified male DNA sample .
- SGR Gold Certified Spanish Breeder Certificate — all six goats are DNA Registered with Gold Certificates (Dam and Sire of all goats listed on Breeder Certificate are DNA Registered or were purchased prior to April 1, 2021 from a Foundation Breeder).
- Once a member has a total of five female and 1 male individual goat DNA Registration on file with SGR, a member may purchase an SGR Certified Breeder Certificate for $10 if the Certification process was not done all at once.
Semen, AI & Embryo Transfer
Artificial Ingemination and Embryo Transfer are powerful tools and can be used for effective breed conservation. However, they can also be detrimental to the breed’s genetic diversity. SGLLC tracks AI and Embryo Transfer to ensure the Needs, Integrity and Diversity of the Pure Spanish Goat Breed.
- SGR breeders may choose to collect semen and/or produce embryo transfers.
- Breeders who choose to collect semen or flush females for embryo transfer are required to register their straws and embryos for DNA Registration of offspring before the embryos or straws are sold or implanted/inseminated; otherwise offspring will not be registered.
- Disclosure must be made at time of sale that embryos or semen have been collected on the goat(s) being sold.
- Embryos can only be fertilized with semen from males that are owned by the breeder — embryos may not be fertilized by purchased semen.
- Any producer attempting to register offspring from either embryo transfer or artificial insemination without prior certification will be removed from the SGR Registry and all goats bred by this particular breeder will not be eligible for SGR DNA Registration.
Transfer of SGR SGC VGL Reports & Dual Registration
- SGR requires a proprietary VGL Record for all DNA Registrations issued for the protection and integrity of the breed data. VGL Records can be altered by anyone who has access to the VGL Report in the UC Davis VGL System. In order to prevent any alteration of the SGC VGL Reports, only the SGR Registrar and UC Davis have access to the SGC VGL Reports.
- Breeders requesting a Transfer of the SGC VGL Reports to be issued to a different account at UC Davis will receive a New VGL Report with a new VGL Record number – GO/#. SGR will not have access to the GO/# VGL Reports.
- When independent accounts request Parent Verification directly from UC Davis using the GO/# VGL Records UC Davis has stipulated the SGR SGC VGL Reports (original sample) will be used. UC Davis will not be using the GO/# VGL Reports for Parent Verification, they will be using the SGC VGL Reports.
- The total fee for each Transfer VGL Report request is $20.
SGR does not accept VGL Reports and/or Registration Certificates from outside organizations for the purpose of dual registration. In order to receive a DNA Registration Certificate and/or parent verification all DNA VGL Reports must be held in the SGR SGC VGL Account. To further clarify, the sample must be verified, tracked, and processed by the SGR Registrar. Those who wish to dual register are advised to run all DNA Testing through the SGR Registrar and the SGR SGC VGL Account first and then Transfer to an outside VGL Account.